Fleas and ticks are such a pair of parasites that has been a cause of headache for all pet lovers across the globe and protecting our canines against these blood-sucking parasites is the primary objective for every dog lover. The veterinary pharmaceutical market today is flooded with flea and tick treatments. Topical, oral tablets, flavored chewable, flea shampoos, collars and so on. The options are too many that can baffle anyone. So, the question is which treatment is best for your dog?
The efficiency of the flea and tick product depends on various factors such as the locality, the gravity of infestation, and your dog. To make the selection of the treatment easier, we have listed top vet-recommended flea and tick products from world’s leading manufacturers.
Let’s Start With The Topical Treatments First.
For years, Frontline Plus has been the first choice of many veterinarians for flea and tick protection across the globe. The product comes in an easy to use plastic container (pipette) and protects the animal for the entire month.
What Is Frontline Plus?
Manufactured by Merial/Boehringer Ingelheim, Frontline Plus is a monthly spot-on treatment for dogs. The topical treatment for dogs contains fipronil and s-methoprene. Frontline Plus protects against adult fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae, adult ticks, and chewing lice.
How Does It Work?
Once applied, Frontline Plus spreads all over the dog’s body surface and reaches to the sebaceous glands. These glands behave as a source of supply and consistently fill up the chemical liquid on skin and coat. Out of the two ingredients (fipronil and s-methoprene), fipronil kills adult fleas, whereas s-methoprene, prevents the laying of flea eggs and stops larval and pupal growth.
What Is The Right Age And Weight To Use Frontline Plus On My Dog?
Frontline Plus is safe to use on puppies from 8 weeks of age and 5 lbs in bodyweight.
Benefits Of Frontline Plus:
- Provides month-long protection against fleas and ticks.
- Kills fleas, flea eggs, flea-larvae, lice and ticks. Prevents the growth of all flea stages.
- Stops the re-infestation.
- Kills fleas that may cause Flea Allergy Dermatitis.
- Kills ticks that transmit Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain fever, ehrlichiosis, babesiosis, anaplasmosis.
- Kills lice.
- Safe to use on breeding, pregnant and lactating females
From the house of Bayer,K9 Advantix/Advantix is again a monthly treatment for dogs that protects dogs against fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, and lice.
How Does Advantix Work?
The formula comprises imidacloprid and permethrin. This composition works as a blend to fight against fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, and lice. Fleas and ticks die as soon as they come in contact with the chemical so your dog does not have to take the bite from the parasite in order to be protected.
When Should One Start Using K9 Advantix?
K9 Advantix is safe to use on puppies from 7 weeks of age.
Can K9 Advantix Be Used In The Household With Cats?
Pet parents who are having both cats and dogs at home should keep their cats away from Advantix-treated dogs for about two days (48 hours). Once the formula gets dry on the dog’s body, your cat can play with the fellow animal.
Benefits Of K9 Advantix:
- Protects against fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, and lice
- Kills fleas and ticks as soon as they come in contact
- Saves your dog from unnecessary bites
- Repels ticks (including paralysis ticks)
- Waterproof treatment
- Comes in an easy-to-administer applicator
- Stays effective throughout the month
- Safe to use on dogs as young as 7 weeks age
An extremely effective flea and tick control product, Effipro Duo is a topical treatment that not only protects dogs against fleas and ticks, but also stops infestation of the area around they live in. Made by Virbac, the formula contains fipronil and pyriproxyfen as active components.
How Should Effipro Duo Be Used?
Effipro Duo is a spot-on treatment that needs to be applied between the shoulder blades on the dog’s skin.
Does Effipro Duo Start Working Immediately?
One of the active components of Effipro Duo fipronil kills fleas inside 24 hours and ticks within 48 hours of administration.
Benefits Of Effipro Duo:
- Offers broader coverage against fleas
- Eliminates fleas and ticks on contact
- No need for parasites to take the blood meal
- Stops flea growth and prevents re-infestation
- Comes in an easy-to-use applicator
Bravecto is an oral flea and tick chewable treatment for dogs. It is the only treatment that provides three times longer protection against fleas and ticks as compared to a monthly product. A single chewable is enough to treat fleas and ticks for 3 months.
Bravecto chewable for dogs is manufactured by Merck Animal Health and it contains fluralaner as an active ingredient. And can easily find bravecto Chews at Best Price @bestvetcare
What Does Bravecto Protect Against?
Bravecto chewable provides protection against fleas and ticks (black-legged tick, American dog tick, brown dog tick, and lone star ticks). It is also indicated for the treatment of demodicosis caused by demodex spp. mites, sarcoptic mange, and otodectes spp. Mites.
How Does Bravecto Work?
Once administered, in no time, Bravecto reaches the tissue fluids under the dog’s skin. As fleas and ticks feed, they ingest the chemical in Bravecto and die.
How Much Time Does It Take For Bravecto To kill Fleas And Ticks?
Bravecto chewables for dogs start killing fleas within two hours and ticks within 12 hours of administration.
What If Dog Vomits After Giving Bravecto?
The first thing to do is check with your vet. If a healthy dog vomits after within three hours of administration, ideally the dog should be re-dosed. It is recommended that you wait 24 hours before giving the dog another dose to ensure that the dog does not vomit again.
Benefits Of Bravecto Chewables:
- Palatable chewable that dogs can’t resist
- Offer constant and long-term protection
- Effective against fleas and ticks (American dog tick, black-legged tick, and brown dog tick) for 12 weeks
- Takes care of lone star ticks for 8 weeks
- Comes with a quick flea-killing ability (two hours)
- Safe for use in 6 months and older puppies that weigh 4.4 lbs or more
Nexgard is an oral treatment for dogs that protects against fleas and ticks for one month. The tasty beef-flavored chewables contain afoxolaner as an active ingredient and it is manufactured by Merial/Boehringer Ingelheim.
How Nexgard kills Fleas And Ticks?
The active component afoxolaner strikes the nervous system of parasites (fleas and ticks) and creates intense excitement which results in uncontrolled activity and death.
Is It Necessary To Give Nexgard With The Food?
Nexgard does not need to be given only with the food. It can be administered any time during the day that suits your dog. It can be directly given in the dog’s mouth. For difficult dogs, Nexgard can be given with the food.
Is Nexgard safe To Use On Pregnant Dogs?
The safety of Nexgard has not been evaluated in pregnant, breeding, or lactating dogs. It is recommended to check with a veterinarian before administering Nexgard to your dog.
Is Nexgad Safe On Puppies?
Nexgard is safe for puppies with a minimum of 8 weeks of age that weigh 2 kg or more.
Benefits Of Nexgard:
- Highly palatable beef-flavored chewable
- Protects against fleas and ticks for one month
- Comes with quick flea killing ability
- Kills new adult fleas within 12 hours of administration
- Kills flea eggs and stops re-infestation
- Used as part of Flea Allergy Dermatitis control
- Safe to use on 8-week puppies
Manufactured by Zoetis, Simparica is an oral treatment for fleas and ticks for dogs. The monthly chewable formula is made of active ingredient Sarolaner.
How Is Simparica Chewable Different From Other Oral Flea And Tick Treatments?
Simparica is probably the only oral treatment which is proven to kill fleas and five different types of ticks in dogs.
Which Are All The Ticks That Simparica Protects Against?
Simparica Chewable for dogs kills American dog ticks, Brown dog ticks, Gulf coast ticks, Deer/Black-legged ticks, and Lone star ticks.
Does Simparica Protect Against Lyme Disease?
Simparica is approved to kill deer ticks that cause Lyme disease.
Benefits Of Simparica Chewables
- Tasty flavored chewable treatment
- Quick to kill fleas and ticks
- Only oral formula that kills 5 types of ticks
- Prevents Lyme disease by killing Deer ticks
- Starts killing fleas within 3 hours and ticks within 8 hours of administration
- Protects for a complete month
- Safe to use in 6 months and older dogs that weigh 2.8 lbs or more
FLEA AND TICK COLLAR
Bayopet Tick And Flea Collar
Bayopet collar is an adjustable collar that provides long-term protection against flea and tick infestations for dogs. Made by Bayer, Bayopet collar comprises propoxur as active ingredient.
How Long Does Bayopet Collar Last?
Bayopet collar protects against fleas for 16 weeks and controls ticks for 10 weeks.
Can Bayopet Collar Cause Skin Irritation?
Bayopet collar comes with no adverse effects. However, if the dog is sensitive towards the active component and shows any signs of skin irritation, immediately take the collar off and consult with a veterinarian.
Benefits Of Bayopet Collar
- Easy-to-use collar with adjustable non-slip clasp
- Effectively controls flea and tick infestations
- Provides long-term protection
- Comes with quick flea and tick killing ability
- Controls flea infestations for 16 weeks and tick infestations for 10 weeks